Wedding Photography Equipment Needed For Small Businesses
If you are thinking about getting into photography for a living, one of the areas
you may want to seriously consider getting into is wedding photography. Think about it.
People are always getting married, and they are always looking for wedding photographers.
And, most people are willing to pay top dollar for their wedding photography, because
these are memories that they want to preserve for a lifetime, so they want to have the
best, in this case you, photograph your wedding. If this is something that you are
interested in doing, then there are some certain pieces of wedding photography
equipment you are going to need to have.
To be crystal clear:
I just want to repeat one thing. As a wedding photographer you are basically under pressure all the time!
You have a time frame and you have to take stunning photos within that given window. It can get really
stressful ... and you have an audience (most of the time). So, to get all that done professionaly you
need first-class equipment!
You don't need to spend a lot of money to be a good wedding photographer, but, you still
need to have professional wedding photography equipment. After all, it isn't going to
look very good on you if you show up to photograph a wedding with a cheap point and
You can find all kinds of great deals on second hand photography equipment that is ideal
for wedding photography, and sometimes you can even get deals on shelf models in stores
that are not exactly used, but not exactly new either.
Wedding couple on beach
Here are some of the things you will need to set up your own wedding photography business:
- A good camera - digital or 35 mm. If you are a traditionalist and want to use mainly 35 mm, it is a good idea to make sure that you always have plenty of extra film, at least 20 or 30 rolls. And, you should probably have a digital camera around as well, just in case. Also, have a remote control or a trip wire for taking shots when your camera is on a tripod.
- Lenses - there are certain lenses you are going to need. You are going to have to have a standard lens for basic shots, as well as a wide angle lens to get the entire wedding party and other large shots. You should have a macro lens for close ups (everyone wants that photo of the hands, rings and flowers), and you might even want to have a zoom lens so you can get some shots from far back.
- An external flash - If you want a flash that is powerful enough to give you the shots you are trying to get inside a church or other large building, you need more than the built in flash on your camera. You can get an external flash for less than $500, and it is a small investment that is an important one to make when you are getting your wedding photography equipment.
- A tripod - when you photograph weddings, you are doing a lot of standing and sitting, and sometimes, you don't really need to be holding your camera to get the shots. In such cases, you can put your camera on a tripod to get static shots, and you can take those shots with a remote control.
- A light meter - no matter what type of photography you are getting into, you need to have a good light meter.
- A good camera bag - if you are spending a lot of money on wedding photography equipment, you want to do your best to protect it, so you should have a good bag or carrying case. There are many different styles available, and the one you choose will depend on how much equipment you are lugging, and how much you want to spend. Camera bags are not cheap, but, they are probably one of the most important pieces of equipment you can have.
- A studio - more than likely, most of your wedding photography is going to be on location, but, there may be times when your clients want to have portraits done before or after the wedding, and some people have all of their photographs of the wedding party done long before the wedding to save time and confusion on the big day. If you will be doing this type of wedding photography, you will need to set up a studio with the proper lighting, unless you are also doing these photographs on location.
As you get going, there will be other things that you will need, but these pieces of
equipment will get you started in the right direction.
Once you have all of the wedding photography equipment you need, you can start getting
to work making lasting memories for all kinds of couples.
Related Wedding Articles: